PCP | Proposed wage increase ignites debate

Minimum wage increase needed with large number of student workers

Peter Johnson, Writer

State wages below federal minimum demand change

The disparity between the state minimum wage and the federal wage laws reflects the need to raise wages to allow workers a reasonable salary.

Minnesota is currently one of only four states with a minimum wage law lower than the federal laws at $6.15 an hour.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, people under the age of 25 make up half the workers paid minimum wage or less. Among teenagers working hourly, 21 percent earn minimum wage or less, compared to 3 percent among people 25 or older.

This large gap with teenage workers warrants an increase to the wage, as some students rely upon the income from these jobs. Increasing the minimum wage to the proposed $9.50 per hour would help all workers at minimum wage and would stimulate the economy.

The training wage, is a part of the law where some workers under 20 earn $4.90 for the first 90 days. The bill in the Minnesota House of Representatives would increase that to $8 per hour.

The Minnesota Grocers’ Association supports an extension to any employee under the age of 18. This would allow for more jobs for high schoolers at a more reasonable wage.

Students who earn minimum wage or would like to should be vocal about their support and should contact their local representatives to express their support of increasing state minimum wage.

An increase in the minimum wage would positively impact students, improving the conditions of student workers and providing opportunity for those who want a job in the future.