Math gets sweeter

Pi Day generates interest for math through celebration

Isaac Greenwood, Features Editor

While March 14 may roll around on the calendar every year, the math department hopes to make this year’s festivities more memorable.

Pi Day, or 3/14, has mathematical significance as one of the most commonly found numbers and ratios in geometry and trigonometry.

A Park tradition for more than 20 years, Pi Day features extra credit and math-based activities for students in all grades in every math class.

Julie Wavrunek, head of the math department, said this year’s celebration will be Olympic-themed and introduce new elements to the classic festivities.

“Instead of each class participating in activities on their own there will be a different competitive event in each room,” Wavrunek said.

“While it will still feature traditional Pi Day activities (such as posters on each door), we hope there will be more of a community-feel this year,” she said.

As a freshman who has not yet experienced Pi Day, Jesse Schwartz said he looks forward to celebrating it later this month.

“(Pi Day) looks fun because it is something math-related during class time that is more interactive,” Schwartz said.

Not all students are as enthusiastic for Pi Day, however.

Sophomore Claudia Scroggins said while it is certainly a departure from a normal day of class it is not as exciting as some make it out to be.

“(Pi Day) is a day like any other,” Schwartz said. “I think it is a cool idea for people who like the Olympics but not everyone does.”

Math teacher Chad Austad said he offers extra credit for students who bake pies and bring them in from home.

“Baking pie encourages students to get in the spirit for Pi Day,” Austad said. “There are also other options for extra credit for those that cannot buy or make pie.”

Beyond pie and activities, Wavrunek said she hopes Pi Day teaches participants about the value of math and learning outside the classroom.

“A lot of students have bad tastes in their mouths for math after that one year they just do not get it,” Wavrunek said. “Math does not have be be written or methodical and can be fun, spontaneous and non-traditional.”

Similarly, Austad said he thinks Pi Day activities allow students to express themselves even during class.

“Acting geeky and having fun (on Pi Day) can help students break away from the textbook and normal material,” Austad said.

Wavrunek said to commerate next year’s 3/14/15, or the first 5 digits of pi, the math department is planning special activities.

“We have some ideas floating around,” she said. “This will not happen again until 3015, so we want to make it unique.”